Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Flight of the Golden Harpy

Susan Klaus Flight of the Golden HarpyFlight of the Golden Harpy
Susan Klaus
Tor Books
June, 2014

Idgie Says:
I'll be honest, I had issues keeping interest in this book.  Perhaps it's because Fantasy is not a genre I generally read - but I found that while the plot line held a lot of promise, which is why I agreed to review the book, the story itself - to me - was choppy in dialogue and sentence flow.  The characters never really drew me in and the moments of "alien erotica/romance" just made me turn the page. 

Now saying that, I believe that if a reader is fond of fantasy worlds/characters and also enjoys reading romance books, this could be an interesting read for them - though I believe the choppiness of the word flow could still be an issue.  Again, it has a solid plot base - it just wasn't the book for me.


Book Description:
Kari, a young woman, returns to the jungle planet of Dora after ten years in Earth’s schools determined to unravel the mysteries surrounding the harpies, a feral species with the appearance half-bird, half-human.

The human colonists believe harpies are dangerous animals, which are known to steal women. The creatures are hunted like wild game, their wings considered rare trophies. But Kari distrusts these rumors. When she was attacked by a monster in the jungle as a child, a male harpy with rare golden coloring rescued her.

Constant hunting by men has driven the harpies to the brink of extinction. Is Kari’s savior, the elegant golden harpy, is still alive? If so, how long can he and his flock survive the ravages of mankind?

Susan Klaus's Flight of the Golden Harpy is an imaginative and romantic fantasy novel that questions what it means to be human.

Go Here for Excerpt.