Friday, November 27, 2015

Ashley Bell

 Idgie Says:

I wanted to like it, I really did.  Dean hooked me years ago with Strangers and I religiously read his books for a few years after that.
But this story is a hot mess, chaotically written with a story line that rambles on without focus.

Some years back I started saying that I felt Dean Koontz wrote one book from his heart every year and a secondary book just to meet the publisher's demands.  To me, this is the book to meet the demands.   It appears to me as if he is writing as he is typing, with no actual thought as to where the story is heading. While acceptance of not necessarily factual things is needed while reading a book of this nature, this one just has me scratching my head wondering what in the hell is going on, and why.  

The saving grace of this novel is the lead character, Bibi.  She is a lovely girl, full of spunk and life. She sparkles with wit, charm and intelligence.  Too bad she's stuck in this book.

____________________________________

Hardcover: 576 pages
Publisher: Bantam (December 8, 2015)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0345545966
ISBN-13: 978-0345545961

Book Description:
The girl who said no to death.

Bibi Blair is a fierce, funny, dauntless young woman—whose doctor says she has one year to live.

She replies, “We’ll see.”

Her sudden recovery astonishes medical science.

An enigmatic woman convinces Bibi that she escaped death so that she can save someone else. Someone named Ashley Bell.

But save her from what, from whom? And who is Ashley Bell? Where is she?

Bibi’s obsession with finding Ashley sends her on the run from threats both mystical and worldly, including a rich and charismatic cult leader with terrifying ambitions.

Here is an eloquent, riveting, brilliantly paced story with an exhilarating heroine and a twisting, ingenious plot filled with staggering surprises. Ashley Bell is a new milestone in literary suspense from the long-acclaimed master.